Friday, March 11, 2011

Ecological Footprint Calculators

I have taken one quiz to figure out my ecological footprint last year. I was curious as to whether there are any others out there that are more accurate, so I did some more searching to find more ecological footprint calculators.

The first EF calculator I did was for my Sustainability Marketing class. My prof had us go to this website: http://www.footprintnetwork.org/en/index.php/GFN/page/calculators/. It does a pretty good job, but it is a little vague with some of the answers; some of the answers are too broad. To make sure you get the right site, here's what it will look like.


When I took this quiz the first time, my result was 3.8 earths. I later took it again after achieving a few goals. My results then were reduced to 3.5 earths. Check out my blogs on these days for my before and after results: 9/29/10 and 11/30/10

My second choice of EF calculator is from Conservation International. They actually have two different options to do: 1) Carbon footprint calculator or 2) Ecological Footprint ( click the links and it will take you straight to the Carbon calculator or the EF calculator). I did the second option. This calculator asks questions and you select all applicable answers to that question. The one thing that I don't like about this calculator is that I don't really know how relative my results are to the preferred number. Here is what my results were:

According to them, I am and Eco-Apprentice, but I still have room for improvement.

I also decided to find out what my carbon footprint is. With this one, I found out that if you want a detailed summary report and explanation of your score you have to pay them. So here is what I have, but not sure what it means:



Alright, I found one more that seems to do a decent job from the WWF. This one is set more for the UK though. I tried it and guessed when it asked about prices because the currency is in euros. But here are my results:

I got about 2 planets for this particular calculator. I like this result much more than the first EF calculator I took. :) Along with my EF, they also calculated my carbon footprint, which is 6.78 tonnes per annum (don't know what that means).

With this calculator, they ask you more specific questions in the "Stuff" section of the quiz, like about pets, personal grooming products, DIY projects, jewelry, etc.

Try some of these and let me know what your results are! Are you living a sustainable life?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Do you use reusable bags when you go grocery shopping?